Friday, December 24, 2010

Toffee

When I was a kid my mom made a recipe every year called Butter Crunch, and it was a toffee type recipe and it was awesome. But it was very difficult to make, my mom struggled with it for years. For a couple of years I tried to make it and it never worked. I went through a ton of butter every year, and it never worked. A couple of years I wrote it off and decided that the recipe was flawed and I needed to find a new one. That is where this recipe came from. It is pretty close to the one that my mom made, with just a few miner adjustments. I usually double the recipe too so that it spreads thicker

English Toffee

14 Tablespoons of Butter
1 Cup Sugar
2 Tablespoons of cold water
1/2 Cup Chopped Pecans (optional)
1 Teaspoon Vanilla
6 Oz Chocolate Chips

Butter a cookie sheet and set aside

Put butter, sugar and water in a heavy pan or skillet. Bring to a bubbling boil, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, about 10 minutes. Remove the spoon from the pan (this is very important, you have to leave it alone) and cook to a very brittle stage (about 300-310 on a candy thermometer or you can do a cold water test) Remove from heat and add the pecans and the vanilla. Pour onto the cookie sheet and spread it evenly. Let it to cool slightly and them put the chocolate chips on top. Spread them as they melt. Cool completely and then break into pieces.

Variations:
You can chop the nuts and put on top after the chocolate melts instead of inside the toffee

After the chocolate melts you can put crushed candy canes on top

You can do all kinds of things, be creative

No comments:

Post a Comment