Saturday, July 10, 2010

Banana Bread

I LOVE banana bread and it seems about every other week I have some bananas that I am going to have to throw away, or make banana bread. Over the last couple of years I have gone back and forth between about 3 different recipes, but I think I have finally comitted to one. It is very yummy and moist and not too dense.


Banana Bread
recipe stolen/borrowed from Rachael White (although slightly adapted)

1 1/4 Cups Sugar
1/2 Cup (1 stick) butter softened
2 Eggs
1 1/2 Cups mashed bananas (about 3 medium)
1/2 Cup Buttermilk
1 Teaspoon Vanilla
2 1/2 Cups Flour
1 Teaspoon Baking Soda
1/2 Teaspoon Salt

Preheat oven to 350. Combine all the above ingredients and bake for about 50 minutes.
If you want you can add 1/2 cup chopped nuts, or my favorite 1/2 cup chocolate chips. Or if you are feeling really crazy, add both. Here is a tip about chocolate chips, if you want to add chocolate chips to something like banana bread have you ever noticed that they sink to the bottom as they cook. If you coat your chips in a couple of teaspoons of flour before you mix them in they will not sink.
This recipe has buttermilk in it, which I think is why it is so delicious, but a lot of people don't have buttermilk laying around. If you don't have it, you can mix white wine vinegar into regular milk and let it sit for a fw minute, and voila, BUTTERMILK! Add 1 teaspoon of vinegar to every cup of milk.

Good Luck, Happy baking

No comments:

Post a Comment