Friday, July 23, 2010

Vanilla Bean Paste (product review)

I recently discovered a product called vanilla bean paste. I bought a magazine that had a whole section devoted to vanilla in all it's different forms. There was of course plain old vanilla extract, which is good in a pinch. And the actual vanilla bean, which I enjoy as well. The bean doesn't have as much flavor as the extract, but it has the black flecks which is fun. And you can seep it in liquids and make vanilla flavored things, like simple syrup. You can also make vanilla sugar with the bean!

But my favorite by far is Vanilla bean paste. It is a little expensive (like about $7-$10 for 4 ounces) It lasts for a long time, and it is hard to find. They do not have it at the grocery store, you will have to go to a specialty store or order it online. I found it at a cake decorating store here in Phoenix. I use it in a lot of recipes instead of regular vanilla, and it is awesome in homemade ice cream. It is one of my things to bake with, I made some really yummy butter cream yesterday, stay tuned for the recipe soon

No comments:

Post a Comment